Wednesday, February 7, 2024

ONE FINGER TAPPING ONE KEY AT A TIME



"We are honored to have you write for us. Your voice needs. to be heard. What? Pay you? Oh no. We can't pay you. This assignment is on a  volunteer basis. Think of the exposure you will get by writing a column for us This could lead to a paid writing job for you."

Yeah right. Who were they kidding?

I began using an electric typewriter at seven to complete my assignments and keep up with my classmates in school. I did not start my writing career until I was in my forties.

I type with one finger. I tap one key at a time. it is a slow, sometimes laborious process. I am grateful I type as well as I do.

I have written for newsletters that focused on disability, and LTC. There was one instance when I was asked to write an article with the promise of being part of a class via Zoom. I was to help facilitate the class. I excitedly wrote my article, hit send, and heard nothing. 

Keep in mind that some of the agencies I wrote for assisted those of us with disabilities gain independence as well as employment.

I am one of those people who foolishly trusts and takes people at their word. Do people think I will forget what they told me?  This has happened to me time and time again over the years. I am tired of my skill as a writer being taken for granted, I need assistance with everything. Writing is the one thing in my life I don't need assistance with.  And, I am damn good at it.

I had not been teaching very long at the community college when I was asked by one of my students for help. The class had ended. I had a few minutes before my ride was due to pick me up. I worked with the student for a few minutes. Someone working in the computer lab came up to me as I was leaving for the day and asked, "Were you working with a student when you were off the clock?" I replied, "They asked for my help. I had the time so I helped them." I was told I was crazy. No one worked without getting paid. I never did it again.

The people who've asked me to write articles and promise to pay and then don't, forget that I am on limited funds. I am responsible for purchasing whatever I need or want. I can use a little extra money as well as anyone else. It is also about being valued. My time is valuable and the articles I write are valuable.  Anything I write is a little piece of me. 

I am grateful for everything I have. My new living arrangement is working out better than I thought it would. I am grateful. 

However, I want the work I do to be valued. I  love writing but it is time-consuming. It takes effort too. Vocational rehabilitation told me no one would pay me for my skills, I disagree. I am not going to write for free anymore.

The time I wrote for the West End Word was one of the happiest periods of my life. I wrote a monthly column for the WEW online. I was paid for each column. I made it into the print edition twice. I was a journalist. 

I will continue to write posts for this blog.

I hope that someday my writing will be valued again.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment