Friday, February 23, 2024

WHAT'S ON THE MENU?

 

My friends and I were always ordering out when I was in the nursing home. (If we had the money, that is.)  

Someone would decide at lunch that they were not in the mood for the dinner menu choices. We knew that the receptionist had takeout menus at the front desk. That was all we needed to know.

"Let's get Chinese. How 'bout a pepperoni pizza? We had pizza last time we got takeout. I don't want pizza. There's a new Chinese place down the street with a cheap delivery fee. Let's order from there. I''ve got a bottle of wine. Wine? Now it's going to be a party."  Suddenly our lunch conversation wasn't dull.  Everyone was excitedly looking forward to dinner. 

A lot of times I skipped lunch. On a diet, you know. (Okay, you got me. Ice cream was served at two o'clock. Some days I indulged.)  On those days someone would come to my room to get my order and cash for my portion of the bill.

There were times when my resident friends and I would order takeout and eat it in the lobby Someone from the activities department would give us our food when it was delivered. If I got takeout with my tablemates in the dining room, One of my tablemates would wait in the lobby for our food to be delivered. A staff member would assist them in bringing our food upstairs to us in the dining room.

The dietary staff would bring plates, and utensils and help in whatever way they could so we could enjoy our dinner They even opened and poured the wine for us. One time a nurse opened and poured the wine for us. Shhh. Don't tell anyone

We finished our meal feeling stuffed, happy, and a little tipsy. All was good.

I miss those times. I miss those people. Nothing lasts forever

Every Friday, at three o'clock I stop for a second and remember Happy Hour. 

Food, friends, and fun. That's all you need.

I hope my memories never fade.



.












No comments:

Post a Comment