Thursday, April 11, 2019

BIRTHDAYS, HAIR DYE AND MARGARITAS

My birthday. Ugh. Another year. I can't believe it is almost here. I want to do something fun. Like I did when I turned 21.

1978. Disco ruled. My friends took me to dinner. After dinner, we went to a disco. I can still see that mirror ball. What made it a memorable night was the car we rode in. What a sight! The back doors of the car were held closed with rope. If we'd had an accident there would have been no hope. Two of my friends sat on either side of me. If the doors flew open. safe I'd be. I thought nothing of it. We were having a blast. I wanted the night to last and last. I got home at 2 a.m, My mom never knew. Riding in that car was the only big risk I  have ever taken.

Until now.

I am going to do something people would not expect me to do. Something out of my comfort zone. The beautician at NHC is going to dye a small portion of my hair blue. The dye has a little purple in it too.  I will look rad for Happy Hour.

I am getting a little nervous. Will people laugh?  Will they make fun of me?. People never expect me to do the things someone able-bodied does."You mean you can have a cocktail? "You tried smoking?" Yes. Why are you so surprised?  Someone had to stand by when I smoked to make sure I did not burn myself or cause a four-alarm fire. My mom was concerned about one minor thing. Our house.  Smoking was disgusting but I tried it. Enough said.

I hope that my blue hair sends a positive message to people. I have CP. I am sixty-two.. Inside I am still that 21-year-old girl who rode in a deathtrap of a car with her friends and loved every minute of it.

I challenge you to do something fun on your birthday, Something you have always wanted to do but didn't because you thought you were too old. Do it. Have fun. It's your day, no one else's.

Oh, I almost forgot.. my birthday would not be complete without Margaritas. I  never liked them. I do now. I look forward to having a few in celebration.

Do something a little crazy for your birthday. You are not too old. It is not too late.

I DID IT!!!



.











No comments:

Post a Comment