Tuesday, June 18, 2019

THE SWAN WAS EVERYTHING

credit Stephen Lovekin/Shutterstock
Model. Socialite. Fashion Icon. Anderson  Cooper's mom/
Gloria Vanderbilt.

There is a title she deserved. No one thought to give it to her.  I bet even she was unaware that she deserved the title of Disability/Inclusion Advocate. I would have given her this title.  Her jeans were different from the rest.
Gloria Vanderbilt

In the 1970s, designer logos were stitched on the back pockets of their jeans. Fine, my peers' who were able-bodied. What about me?  I watched the Calvin Klein and Jordache Jeans commercials feeling completely bummed out. I could buy their jeans, but I'd sit on the designer's logo. Gloria Vanderbilt saved me from being uncool.

Vanderbilt Jeans had a white swan stitched on the front pocket. That swan meant everything to me. It wasn't long before I was the proud owner of several pairs of  Vanderbilt Jeans. Black denim, royal blue corduroys,, blue denim with red piping down the side, and a silk shirt to match. I was finally cool.

Her signature fragrance came with her trademark swan on the bottle I used her perfume for several years.

I tweeted Anderson Cooper several years ago. I told him how much Vanderbilt Jeans meant to me. In hindsight, I am embarrassed, What was I, thinking? Anderson Cooper. covers news from around the globe and I sent him a tweet about jeans. As you might have guessed he did not reply.

If I could say one thing to Gloria Vanderbilt I would thank her. In my late teens and early twenties when I desperately tried to fit in, her jeans helped me feel not so different from my peers.

Gloria Vanderbilt. Socialite, Model, Fashion Icon, Painter. Advocate for Inclusion.  That's how I will always think of her.

Rest in peace, Gloria Vanderbilt. Thank you for making a difference in my life. The swan was everything.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/gloria-vanderbilt-dead-95-anderson-cooper-1203245335/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfbRneB9wcA&t=160s













No comments:

Post a Comment