Sunday, March 14, 2021

WAIT FOR IT...IT'S COMING





I graduated with my MSW in 1982. Ready to change the world. I was in for a rude awakening. No one would hire me. I had never held a job or volunteered anywhere, 

The children's hospital where I'd been a patient and done one of my grad school internships would not hire me unless I'd had two years of work experience behind me. The only positions offered to me were the jobs no one else wanted. Night jobs in psychiatric facilities.

I don't remember if I was interviewing for a volunteer position with my local chapter of The United Cerebral Palsy Association or a paid position.  I don't remember anything about the interview except for one statement the woman conducting the interview made.  Her words stayed with me. 

"We couldn't have you working here.  You'd make the parents nervous."  (After my children's book was published in 2010 I had a book reading at UCP. What an amazing afternoon that was.)

There was no ADA. I couldn't talk about my rights. I didn't have any. People could say or do whatever they wanted. I was crushed. I left UCP that day convinced she was right. I would never amount to anything. 

 I took matters into my own hands. I created a part-time job for myself. I held that job for 16 years. You can't allow the negativity of other people to crush your spirit. I almost let that happen. Thankfully, I had a family and a boss who believed in me.

I hope, in my lifetime, I will be able to celebrate the International Day of Women with Disabilities. A day where we won't be patted on the head or spoken to in a sing-song voice, A day where we will be recognized for our strengths. Not criticized for our weaknesses.

I have come to the realization that I am a feminist who has Cerebral Palsy. This realization was the only positive thing I got from our country's previous administration. I want equality for all women in all areas of life. 

I want to see all women with disabilities celebrated for their accomplishments.  

I don't want us to just raise awareness about our disabilities. That's been done to death. 

I want us to raise awareness about women with disabilities because we are so much more than whatever our disability is. We are more than the label society has given us. That's what needs to be talked about. That's what young girls with disabilities need to know.   
.
This question was posed on social media/    

 Why isn't there an international day celebrating women with disabilities?

Wait for It. It's coming. 

All good things take time.








]

No comments:

Post a Comment