Monday, March 8, 2021

WWFD (WHAT WOULD FRIDA DO?)

Photo courtesy of  Lori Peterson
Frida Kahlo overcame much adversity in her life. 

She had polio as a child. 

She was involved in a horrible bus accident She suffered severe injuries. The accident left her unable to have children. She endured many surgeries. The accident left her in pain and ill-health for the rest of her life.  

During her time in a body cast, she taught herself to paint. She was always in pain. The majority of her paintings are self-portraits reflecting her physical pain and loneliness. 

I can't write about Frida Kahlo without mentioning her love/hate relationship with her husband Diego Rivera. They married. They had many fights/ Both Frida and Diego cheated on each other countless .times. They divorced. They remarried. Diego is thought to have been the love of Frida's life.

I have often wondered how Frida would handle being in my situation.  I believe that she would conduct herself with dignity at all times. Frida would not cry at hurtful comments. She was too strong to allow herself to turn into a snotty mess if someone said or did something that hurt her feelings. She would not let her hurt show on her face. Frida would have a comeback to end the conversation. Frida would know how to handle having caregivers.

I wonder If she got angry. I  wonder if she ever felt powerless. I wonder if she was ever impatient. I wonder if she was ever afraid.  

If she were alive today. and I was given the honor of interviewing her  I would turn these statements into interview questions.  The title of my interview?  Frida Kahlo One on one. (I have way too much time on my hands don't I?)

Strength. That is the first word that comes to my mind when I think of the Mexican Icon Frida Kahlo. 

WWFD?  I believe that she would remain calm and carry on.

“At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can.” – Frida Kahlo









No comments:

Post a Comment