Monday, May 3, 2021

OH NO YOU DIDN'T



What's the most outrageous comment anyone has ever made to you?  Whatever the comment was I bet I can top it.  Don't believe me? Keep reading.

A little boy once asked me, "Are you dead?" It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon. I was out for a walk. I decided to stop at the greeting card store. There I was, minding my own business, pursuing my favorite greeting cards. Then I heard him. "Are you dead? I tried pretending I did not hear him. He just kept asking.

A child's curiosity about me or my power chair doesn't bother me. Usually, I find their questions about how fast my chair goes and why do I have to use my chair cute.  I hate when embarrassed parents try to shush their children or hurry them away. How are they going to learn if they don't ask? 

This kid's question, however, really rattled me. "No, I am not dead Do I look dead?" I snapped. (Yeah, I probably should've handled that better..) I rolled away as quickly as I could. I hope I didn't scar the child for life.

The owner of a Chinese restaurant asked my mom if he could try using acupuncture on me. He was sure he could cure me. My mother politely refused. (I will have the cashew chicken with a side of needles, please.) 

People tell me that they are sure that I could find a significant other If I put myself out there because there are plenty of "people like me". Say what? ]Oh no you didn't.

(I reply, feeling my jaw tighten and my teeth clench.)  "Do you mean people who wear glasses? Do you mean people with gray hair?  Do you mean people who write/blog? Or do you mean people who admire the artist Frida Kahlo?" 

Oh, I get it, you mean other people with disabilities. They are the only ones who will accept me. I should stay with my own kind. That's what your statement implies. That's the most insulting statement a person can make to me.

Throughout my life, people have assumed I was unable to read, assumed that I was mentally challenged. People are surprised if a man, who is not disabled looks in my direction. That is something to make a joke about.

People have said things to me that they would never dream of saying to a non-disabled person.

Why?

When is it going to stop?




















No comments:

Post a Comment