Tuesday, July 20, 2021

CAVIAR DREAMS ON A TUNA FISH BUDGET


 I blame the shrimp. When I was four years old my parents took me to a wedding reception. According to my mom, that is when I ate shrimp for the first time.

Picture It. (I've always wanted to write that in one of my posts) My four-year-old self is wearing. a Polly Flinders smocked dress. White ankle socks, with my name monogrammed on them, and black patent leather shoes, cover my wide fat little feet. This fashionista in training is scarfing down shrimp. 

Chipmunk cheeks filled with shrimp while dressed in the trendiest fashion of the day for little girls. I must have been a vision. (My mom would have never allowed me to have chipmunk cheeks full of shrimp. The word scarfing was most assuredly not in her vocabulary. Made you laugh though, didn't I?)

Fast forward to that Christmas when I asked for a pair of shiny white (Wait for it) go-go boots. (My Goldie Hawn period?) The fact that I couldn't stand up very well in them didn't matter  I looked so cool. 

Gloria Vanderbilt jeans, Lunch at the Ritz earrings, Dooney and Burke purses. Designer labels were everything. I am embarrassed to admit. that I begged my mom for a Gucci purse. She bought it for me When the strap on the purse broke, my mom super-glued it. I refused to use the purse. (Can you say spoiled?) No worries  My mom took over the purse

I told my mom. that someday I would spend the warm months in St. Louis and the cold months in California. I loved our California vacations. I had no idea how I was going to achieve this goal. Didn't matter that I was only working part-time, earning the minimum wage. Clearly, I was delusional.

Now that I am on Medicaid, EBT, and live in a group home I am grateful that I can pay my rent. I am grateful for the times my brother brought me a cupcake from Jilly's. Receiving government assistance kinda put things in perspective. I am not a  diva after all.

I still have caviar dreams on my tuna fish budget. That's okay.

FYI  I tasted caviar at a friend's house many years ago. I loved it!! 












No comments:

Post a Comment