Friday, November 20, 2020

HAPPY (COVID) THANKSGIVING



The governor of Missouri declared a state of emergency. He issued a mask mandate until March as hospitalizations due to COVID continue to rise.

At this time last year, I was looking forward to having a Thanksgiving feast with my friends at NHC. Delicious food shared with good friends combined with conversation and laughter. There is nothing better. I even wore a turkey hat. Only Tina from the activities department could get me to do that.

Thanksgiving 2020. There is no feast at NHC. Not for the public anyway. I hope there is a feast for the staff and the residents. Maybe a little wine too? I want my friends to know how much I miss them. Hopefully, by Thanksgiving 2021, we'll be able to celebrate together again.

I won't be celebrating with my family, but I will have one of our traditional Thanksgiving casseroles. My sister-in-law is making my mom's carrot casserole and shipping it to me again this year. There are so many memories attached to that dish. I will have my family with me when I eat it on Thanksgiving. I won't feel as lonely. I want to thank my sister-in-for for taking the time to make the casserole. She makes my mom proud every year.

Thanksgiving will be quiet. I will spend the day watching movies. Watching movies is a way for me not to feel alone. I can get lost in a story. Movies bring me comfort. A shot of Fireball will make the day better too.

I want to thank the staff for sacrificing time with their families to ensure my housemates and I have a good Thanksgiving. I am grateful.

Even with Covid restrictions, there is still so much to be grateful for. My family and a  carrot casserole.

I wish you all a safe and HappyThanksgiving.



What a turkey!








No comments:

Post a Comment