Friday, November 27, 2020

MASK UP


 I watched this video on CNN's website.

A young ICU nurse posted photos of herself online. One at the beginning of her 12-hour shift, another at the end of her 12-hour shift. The difference between the two photos was shocking.

The effects of wearing a mask for 12 hours were visible on her face. She endured online harassment for posting the photos, for trying to let people know what her job is like. Not having enough resources. Watching patients die. Being powerless. Knowing there is nothing she can do.

One question kept running through my mind as I watched the video. WHO WILL NURSE THE NURSES? Who will make sure that they are not only physically, but emotionally and spiritually okay?  Do people even care?

After the Thanksgiving weekend, the number of Covid cases will rise. Why? Because people do not believe COVID is real. People don't believe it can happen to them. People are selfish. The mandated guidelines do not apply to them.

These are the same people who'll apologize profusely when they get the virus and through their selfishness spread it to other people. They are also the same people who'll welcome the care of a nurse as they fight the virus.

Nurses worked hard before COVID. I can't imagine how tired they must be as the pandemic continues. They put their lives at risk every day and the lives of their families too. Think about it.

Don't be an ass. Wear a mask.






2 comments:

  1. Perfectly said my dear friend. I have no idea why every single American can't live by The Golden Rule. I truly think that we're bringing KINDNESS back ---Too bad it's got to be in such baby steps. Thanks for writing this. My heart aches when I watch doctors and nurses go through everything they're going through right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Laura...the video broke my heart...

    ReplyDelete