Saturday, December 12, 2020

I DON'T NEED SHINY AND NEW


The halls of the house have been officially decked out for Christmas. Money was donated to buy new decorations. All shiny and sparkly. Three mini trees. One for each of us. I turned down the new decoration. 

My tree was given to me by my friend Nancy. She gave it to me for my first Christmas here. A white tree stands in the living room of the house. My housemates chose it. Don't misunderstand me. White Christmas trees are cool. I am not trendy. I am old school. Christmas trees are green.

My mom painted the wooden ornaments the entire year after my father died. They were on our tree for our first Christmas without him. I can still see her sitting at a card table painting them while we watched TV. I can't imagine having a tree without her ornaments on it.




My paternal grandparents owned a grocery store. This Santa looks dapper, in his white boots. He was the Coca-Cola Santa one Christma. My grandparents gave him to me. I think I was about four years old. I remember stroking his beard the entire day. Santa stood proudly on our coffee table at home every year.




My Christmas stocking. isn't it cute?

 By the time I arrived, the pattern that my mom used to knit my brother's stockings had been discounted. No wreath and candle for me. I got a snowman. My stocking is smaller too. I love my stocking Sixty-three Christmases. It looks as good as new.



Lucie loved Christmas. She went crazy the year her stocking arrived filled with treats. Each year after that whenever she saw her stocking she knew Santa was coming so she'd better be on her best behavior. Santa never forgot her even though Lucy was never on her best behavior.

These decorations remind me of eating Ravioli and The Pasta House Salad on Christmas.Eve. I ate my mom's burned Christmas cookies for dessert. (A little charcoal never hurt anybody.)  Opening presents. My brother gave me a bottle of Electric Reindeer. My family. Laughter and fun.

Vintage decorations. The history.The memories. Those decorations are the best.

 







 












No comments:

Post a Comment