Tuesday, December 8, 2020

MARGARITAS ANYONE?

A friend came to visit me shortly after I moved into the nursing home. I was complaining about how I did not belong there. I was complaining that I did not want to be with old people

It was at that moment that Suzanne rolled past us. My friend saw Suzanne and said, "She seems nice. You should try to be friends with her." 

Suzanne has a presence. I don't know if a person can look regal driving a powerchair but Suzanne does. Everyone knows who she is.

The fact that she lives in a nursing home didn't matter. Her hair and make-up were always done. Her outfits and earrings always matched. Suzanne is high maintenance. (in a good way.)  I liked the fact that being in a nursing home hadn't changed who she was. Being in a nursing home had not altered her sense of style. 

Over time we became friends. We sat on the garden patio with the rest of the residents who lived on that floor. Suzanne and I started sharing a table at Happy Hour. We talked about how lame some of the entertainment was. We both adamantly refused to play Name That Tune Bingo during Happy Hour.  (Sorry Lydia) 

From Margaritas to Hurricanes, the two of us would be there almost every Friday even after I moved here.  Until COVID that is. No one cared if we got a little tipsy.  Dinner was right after Happy Hour so no worries. 

Suzanne will try to help anyone. Whatever challenges life throws at her. She takes it in stride. She has lived in a nursing home for over ten years. I have rarely seen her in a bad mood. Suzanne takes things in stride.

The last time I saw Suzanne was in March of 2019. I will miss seeing her over Christmas and in the New Year'.  There is no one to have a drink or two with here. (I am the only client at this agency who is allowed alcohol)) There is no one to joke with about how lame things are.

Each year since I left I have looked forward to celebrating Christmas and New Year's Eve.' at the nursing home. Ringing in the New Year at noon is not so bad. I am getting too old to make it until midnight.

Suzanne always asked me if I was coming back the following week. The last time I visited she added, "Every time I hear a crash I think of you." We counted the number of dishes that were dropped during dinner. Forgive me, dietary staff. I gotta say it is nice to be remembered. 

Suzanne, raise a glass for me this holiday season. I will be raising one for you.  






2 comments:

  1. She sounds like a wonderful person.
    I never make it to midnight on New Year's Eve!

    ReplyDelete