Sunday, December 20, 2020

ROCKIN' AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE



Christmas 1970.  I received The Partridge Family's first album that year. It was the first album I'd ever gotten.  I'd bought 45's but never an LP. This was a big deal.

I became, like every other girl my age, obsessed with the series, and David Cassidy. Besides buying their albums I had a subscription to Tiger Beat's Official PF Magazine, and I became a member of their fan club. I am proud to say I had a full set of PF bubblegum cards and even a PF comic book  Was I a fan or what?

When the cover of my copy of Tiger Beat's  Special David Cassidy edition came off,  my grandma made a new cover for it. She also helped make. a PF scrapbook. She'd cut the pics out of magazines. I'd glue them onto the scrapbook pages. (More about my cool grandma later..)

In November of 1971, The Partridge Family's Christmas album was released. I told my mom I wanted to buy it. She told me I'd get one for Christmas. Not before Christmas. What?  She could not be serious.

"But Mom," I wailed, "what good is a Christmas album if you get it on Christmas? I will only get to listen to it for a day. Christmas will be over. I'll have to wait a year to listen to it again. All my friends are getting it now. I'll be the only one who isn't." (Yep I said it)

"I don't care when all of your friends are getting it. You're not getting it until Christmas," my mom told me. She meant it.

My grandma had broken both of her hips. She used a walker. She'd not done her own Christmas shopping for many years. My mom did it for her. While I was wailing about how I'd die if I did not get The PF Christmas Album before Christmas the album was safely tucked away next door at my grandma's house. My grandma planned to give it to me.

When my grandma heard about my plea to get the album early she overruled my mom and gave it to me. (My grandma was the most awesome person on the planet. My grandma's cool factor that year was off the charts.)

I remember the green album cover with snowflakes on it. The slot held a Christmas card from the cast The back cover featured a photo of  Shirley Jones and David Cassidy done in snowflakes. All was right in my world.

I think my mom loved that album even more than I did. Playing it became a tradition for us. She enjoyed the entire album/ Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree was her absolute favorite. She'd dance around in our living room while I feigned embarrassment.

I listen to The Partridge Family's rendition of Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree on YouTube every year. This year I listened to the whole album via Spotify. I teared up.

It is Christmas at my house. Her favorite Christmas album is playing. My mom?  She is dancing her heart out.

Image Credit: Amazon Music




.



No comments:

Post a Comment