Wednesday, June 2, 2021

THE PANDEMIC EFFECT



How did the pandemic affect those of us with disabilities? What are the lasting effects of the experience for people with disabilities?

I can only speak for myself but I would not be surprised to learn that many of my disabled peeps have experienced many of the same issues and feelings that I have over the past year and a half.

When it was announced that there would be a two-week quarantine I thought to myself, "No problem. I can do this. I will be back at Happy Hour by St. Patrick's Day." 

When two weeks turned into months, then a year, I felt like I was living in a box. News reports of the rising number of deaths were frightening to me. I require care. My caregivers and I could not social distance. Would I catch Covid?  Would I be one of those who would be forgotten or denied care, like so many of the elderly and disabled people I read about if I contracted the virus?  My fear, anxiety, depression, and a little paranoia were amped up. to the max. I am disabled. I am on Medicaid. Would those two factors mean there were two strikes already against me?

Even though social media and Netflix were a godsend I still felt isolated. My room began to feel like a box during the winter months. I needed conversation. I needed to feel connected. I didn't.

I gained weight because I saw no end to the pandemic. I found enjoyment, comfort, and friendship in food. Make that junk food. 

Everyone gained weight during the pandemic right?. It's harder for me, or any sedentary person, to lose weight. I never want to be the reason someone hurts their backs, I have done a good job of keeping my weight down my entire life. During the pandemic, however, I just did not care.,

When news of a vaccine was announced I could not wait but. I was concerned about potential effects. The length of time it would take for me to get it. I felt horrible the day after getting the second injection. Considering what the alternative would have been it was worth it.

Nothing has really changed here yet. I still have to meet visitors outside while social distancing despite the fact that my potential visitors have all been vaccinated. I wonder if the world will have to mask up forever.

Twenty years ago the idea of a virus such as Covid would have been the plot of a sci-fi movie. For the last year and a half, it's been our reality.

I hope we never forget the lives lost, and the medical professionals who risked their lives to save so many. 

The pandemic has left me with the knowledge that anything can happen. A virus stopped our world in its tracks. Be kind. Be grateful. No one is immune to anything.  

We need to stop being so selfish. We need to care. Not only about ourselves, but about how our choices and actions affect those around us. None of us live in a vacuum.  We are all connected to one another. If the pandemic taught us nothing else it most assuredly taught us that.







 























No comments:

Post a Comment