Monday, June 28, 2021

IT HAPPEND

I told my mom before she died not to get dementia. I did not want her to look at me and not know who I was. (It only happened one time. She caught herself and laughed. then she said my name.) I knew she had no control over whether or not she'd lose her memory. I asked the question anyway. In my opinion, losing your memory is the worst thing that can happen to someone.

My handwriting (printing) is not the best. It has gotten worse as I have gotten older. I love my laptop and tablet, but sometimes having to type things out is more trouble than it's worth. I rely heavily on my ability to remember things. If my memory goes I will be in BIG trouble.

It happened.

I woke up one morning convinced it was Sunday. It felt like a Sunday. The Golden Girls were on TV, a sure sign it was Sunday.

All day it was Sunday to me until late in the afternoon when I mentioned to a staff member something that is done on a Sunday. When the staff member tells me that it's Saturday. I am taken aback. I protest until  I check the day, date, and time on my tablet. It's indeed Saturday.

People have told me things I've said that I do not remember saying. Or, I remember a conversation in an entirely different way.

I have visions of being placed in the Alzheimer's unit of a nursing home.

I immediately wanted to call my physician to schedule an Alzheimer's screening. This disease that steals a person's mind runs in my family. I was filled with fear.

I was assured that what I experienced was most likely caused by stress. I did not have the beginning signs of Alzheimer's. 

Stress and Pressure. Picture a pressure cooker. Its valve is about to pop off. Hissing. Spewing its contents everywhere. Leaving a mess for others to clean up. I never want to feel that way again. Stress is a powerful negative feeling. 

My memory is so valuable to me. Stress can only affect me if I allow it to. I will not allow stress to take over my life.

I have so much that's positive in my life. This blog, my friends, I have the privilege of watching a movie to escape for a while.

Friends, blogging, and movies. My de-stressors.  

What are yours? 

Leave me a comment.










No comments:

Post a Comment